ONLINE EXTRA: Philip Martin's recommended reading on "the power of place"
Published: October 26, 2009
|In the November 2009 issue of The Writer, Philip Martin wrote about how to power your story with a sense of place. Following is his list of resources that further illuminate the power of place in writing.|
• Writing About Nature: A Creative Guide, by John A. Murray
• The Alphabet of the Trees: A Guide to Nature Writing, edited by Christian McEwen and Mark Statman
• Tinker at Pilgrim Creek, by Annie Dillard
• William Carlos Williams, "The Red Wheelbarrow" and other poems, atwww.poets.org
• Mary Oliver, Why I Wake Early: New Poems
• Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row and Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck, winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature
• Ted Kooser: Local Wonders: Seasons in the Bohemian Alps
Philip Martin also writes regularly about sense-of-place topics at his blog: www.writershandbook.wordpress.com.
--Posted Oct. 26, 2009