Welcome to the home of The Writer‘s free webinar series!
Come spend an hour with us as we cover every aspect of the writing life in real time, from writing to revision to publishing – all taught by leading experts in the field and hosted by The Writer’s editorial staff.
How to Write a Personal Essay That Sells
Presented by contributing editor Melissa Hart
All of us have a story to tell. But did you know there are hundreds of magazines and newspapers willing to publish and pay for those stories? In this webinar, you’ll learn the “hows” and the “whys” of essays that sell, from craft to revision to pitching the final product. We’ll cover:
- The three questions editors ask when reading your essay pitch
- Where professional essayists get their ideas
- Key elements of successful and surprising essays
- Crafting the perfect nonfiction scene
- Revision strategies to adopt before you hit “send”
- A list of publications that publish essays
About our presenter:
Melissa Hart’s personal essays have appeared in dozens of magazines and newspapers including The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Hemispheres, Woman’s Day, The Advocate, The Normal School, Orion, and Brain, Child. She’s the author of two memoirs and the new YA novel, Avenging the Owl. Website: melissahart.com