Wednesday, March 31, 2021
The total prize pool is $1000 CAD:
First place: $700
Second place: $200
Third place: $100
All three finalists also win publication on the Chopping Blog and receive complementary access to a Darling Axe self-paced course.
The rules are simple: tell us a story in fewer than 1000 words.
• Stories must not exceed 1000 words (title not included)
• Only original, unpublished work may be submitted
• One entry per person
• Word documents & PDFs accepted
• Judging is anonymous: submission should not include entrant’s name or contact information
• The winning submissions will be published on the Chopping Blog
• Winner and runners-up will be notified by email
• Prize money will be awarded via Paypal
What is flash fiction?
Flash fiction is a fictional work of extreme brevity that still offers character and plot development. Identified varieties, many of them defined by word count, include the six-word story, the 280-character story (also known as “twitterature”), the “dribble” (also known as the “minisaga”; 50 words), the “drabble” (also known as “microfiction”; 100 words), “sudden fiction” (750 words), flash fiction (1,000 words), nanotale, and “micro-story”.
Screening and judging will be done solely by Darling Axe editors. The entries will be screened by David Brown. The shortlist will be judged anonymously by Michelle Barker.
David Brown, senior editor