Sunday, February 28, 2021
Fantasy, Fiction, Horror, Poetry, Science Fiction
Early Bird Entry Fee: $10 (before January 1, 2021)
Regular Entry Fee: $15 (January 1, 2021 - February 14, 2021)
Late Entry Fee: $20 (February 15, 2021 - February 28, 2021)
EVERY entrant (whether or not accepted for publication) will receive a FREE digital copy of the Hope Screams Eternal Anthology after it is released!
*Will receive full publishing credit in the Hope Screams Eternal Anthology
*One (1) free paperback copy
*One (1) free digital copy
We are thrilled to announce our debut anthology!
In celebration of the one year anniversary of our Unsettling Reads podcast, we’re calling upon fellow writers and artists to create original pieces that reflect on change and rejuvenation and the perfect time to begin anew. It takes a great deal of hope and determination to succeed, and the phrase ‘Hope Springs Eternal’ seemed fitting both for the endeavor and the season. Of course, with our penchant for the macabre, we put a twist on it. We welcome you to put on your twisted thinking cap and turn spring on its ear with Hope Screams Eternal.
We’re Looking For Stories/Poems/Artwork…
1. From the Fantasy, Horror, Literary, and/or Sci-Fi genres (and their associated sub-genres)
2. That include one or two of the following words in the title: Hope, Screams, and/or Eternal.
3. That are set during the Spring (or your fictional world’s equivalent of Spring)
4. That include at least one of the following words in a way that is important to the storyline or image: Hatch, Resurrect, Bunny, and/or Seed(s)
5. That unsettle, unnerve, frighten, discomfit, challenge, and/or just generally entertain. We are not looking for pieces that glorify rape or abuse — especially of children or animals. We also will not include works that glorify bigoted thinking. While we recognize that some amount of violence is often seminal to these genres, we’re not interested in scenes that painstakingly, even lovingly, describe extreme violence.
*Short Stories (English only): Between 1,500 words and 7,500 words
*Poems (English only): Up to 3 poems per entry in one file
*Artwork: Up to 3 pieces per entry in one file
Multiple Submissions: Yes
Simultaneous Submissions: Yes
*A word on response times: Having been on the receiving end of things, we know what it’s like to eagerly await word about a submission. We promise to do our best to get in touch with people as quickly as possible. However, at a minimum, know that the Anthology is set to release on April 1, 2021. You should hear back from us ahead of the release date.
UNSETTLING READS, LLC holds first serial rights only for material that we publish. The copyright automatically reverts to the author upon publication. All work may be permanently archived online. We ask that you acknowledge Unsettling Reads, LLC and/or Hope Screams Eternal in subsequent publications of the work.
Or find us on Duotrope! https://duotrope.com/listing/31650/unsettling-reads-hope-screams-eternal