Sunday, January 25, 2015
Children’s, Drama, Fiction, General, Horror, Journalism, Mystery, Nonfiction, Personal Journals, Romance
The winner will receive the full retreat package, including a free hotel stay, tours, most meals, and all workshops for the duration of the event, from 8 to 12 April (excluding flights).
We’ve partnered with tour operators Iceland Travel to offer one person a free delegate spot at the ICELAND WRITERS RETREAT in April 2015. The winner will receive the full retreat package, including a free hotel stay, tours, most meals, and all workshops for the duration of the event, from 8 to 12 April.*
We know you’re all great writers, so show us what you’ve got. Write a short story or essay, no more than 500 words, using this image of Harpa Concert Hall & Conference Center as your inspiration. Link: http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mcguiresaram/media/reykjavikconcerthall_zps296581c4.jpg.html
Our four-person judging panel will select one winning entry. Judges will be looking for creativity, originality, and style.
People who have already registered to attend the Iceland Writers Retreat are also welcome to apply. If the winner has already registered, his or her payment will be refunded.
Deadline: 23:59 (GMT) January 25, 2015
Submit your entry to [email protected]. All entries must be submitted in a Word attachment. DO NOT WRITE YOUR NAME ON THE ATTACHMENT. The name of the attachment should be the title of the entry. Please also put this title in the body of your email submission. Entries will be judged anonymously.
All the fine print:
– The author of the winning entry will receive one delegate spot at the Iceland Writers Retreat 2015, including accommodation (if based outside of the Reykjavík Capital Area) and all other items listed on the registration page (www.icelandwritersretreat.com/register)
– *The prize does not include airfare to Iceland, airport transfers, or any expenses not itemized in the delegate description.
-The prize is valid for one participant on a standard single room (if based outside of the Reykjavík Capital Area) basis. If the participant wishes to purchase a room upgrade or attend with an accompanying person, the standard additional fees apply.
– The prize does not include attendance at the Relax & Write extension.
– The entry must be submitted in English and must be your own original work.
– The entry must not have been published elsewhere, either in print or online.
– The winner grants Iceland Travel and Iceland Writers Retreat the right to publish their submission (with credit) in conjunction with the promotion.
– Submissions that do not win will not be published.
– The judging panel is made up of representatives from Iceland Travel, Reykjavík UNESCO City of Literature, Promote Iceland, and Iceland Review magazine.
– The judges’ decision is final. Unfortunately we are unable to provide feedback on submissions.
– Only one entry per person.
– There is no entry fee.
– Contest closes at 23:59 (GMT) on January 25, 2015. The winner will be announced on January 30, 2015.
– Second or third place entries will be selected in the event that the first place winner cannot attend.
About the Iceland Writers Retreat
Held for the first time in April 2014, the Iceland Writers Retreat is an event comprised of a series of small-group writing workshops and cultural tours designed to introduce participants to Iceland’s rich literary heritage. In 2015, there will be ten Featured Authors leading workshops, including Barbara Kingsolver, Adam Gopnik, Linn Ullmann, Sjón, and Taiye Selasi. The Iceland Writers Retreat was named one of the world’s best writers’ retreats by the Sydney Morning Herald, and one of the top 10 “Events to travel for in 2014” by Four Seasons Magazine.
Questions? Email [email protected].
Submit your entry to [email protected].