Looking for writing contests?
Sign up for The Writer newsletter to get the inside scoop on our latest contest announcements.
As you already know, The Writer encourages all of our readers to practice their craft and put their stories in front of the eyes of as many people as possible. Writing contests have always been a vital part of the writing world, giving writers the chance to have their work reviewed by editors and possibly published. Literary journals, universities and even The Writer regularly host writing competitions, helping authors gain exposure and hone their craft.
Choose your inspiration, submit before the deadline, and, as always, keep writing.
Coming soon: Our 2022 Summer Flash Contest
Our most popular contest of the year is almost here! Submit works in any genre – fiction OR nonfiction – in less than 1,000 words for your chance to win $1,000 and publication in our magazine.
Need to brush up on your skills before entering the contests below?
For short story contests, here are a few of our favorite fiction writing articles:
- Make every word count: An editor’s tips for writing flash fiction
- Win big with writing contests
- Editors’ tips for getting your short stories published
- How to write a captivating short story
- Creating fully developed fictional characters (that are not secretly you)