Monday, April 25, 2016
$25 (including processing fees).
$15 per additional submission on the same transaction (up to 5 per transaction)
1st place: $1,000 and publication in the August issue of The Writer.
2nd place: $500 and publication on The Writer’s website
3rd place: $250 and publication on The Writer’s website
I need a break.
I broke through.
Don’t break my heart.
Those are the breaks.
It’s time for your Big Break in the short story form. Frame a short story using any nuance, definition or understanding of the word “break.” Write 2,000 words of fiction and submit it to The Writer by April 25.
Heidi Pitlor, editor of The Best American Short Stories series and author of the novel The Daylight Marriage, will judge the winning entries.
The first-place winner receives $1,000 and publication in the August issue of the magazine. (It’s summer break, after all.) Second-place winner receives $500, and third-place winner receives $250. All three get published on The Writer website.
It’s time you had a break.
- The submission deadline is midnight eastern time on April 25, 2016.
- The entry fee is $25 (including processing fees).
- We encourage you to submit more than one story at once – for a discounted entry fee of $15. All entries must be submitted on the same transaction in order to get the discounted rate. The first submission will be $25 and each additional submission (up to 5 per transaction) will be $15.
- $1,000 and publication in the August 2016 issue will be awarded to the winner. The runner-up will receive $500 and publication on writermag.com. Third place winner will receive $250 and publication on writermag.com.
- A blind reading of all entries will be conducted by a staff editor of The Writer, who will narrow down the pool of finalists. Those entries will then be read by Heidi Pitlor, who will select a winner.
- You must remove your name, bio and any contact info from the file that you submit.
- Close friends and colleagues (current & former) of the The Writer staff and Madavor Media are not eligible to compete.
- All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions. We do not accept previously published entries.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished.
- You may enter simultaneously submitted work.
- Winners will be announced in the August 2016 issue of The Writer.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Must be 18 years or older to enter.