Welcome to the home of The Writer‘s free webinar series!
Come spend an hour with us as we cover every aspect of the writing life in real time, from writing to revision to publishing – all taught by leading experts in the field and hosted by The Writer’s editorial staff.
Structuring and Shaping a Memoir
Presented by contributing editor Melissa Hart
Led by contributing editor Melissa Hart, this webinar will teach participants how to identify the most compelling parts of their personal story and organize them by era, theme, and/or subject into chapters for a full-length book.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
• What makes your story unique and surprising
• How to create a scene, the building block of a memoir
• Strategies for mapping each chapter using narrative arc
• The incorporation of characterization and dialogue, setting and sensory details
• Research and historical details to deepen context for personal narrative
• How to navigate the ethical issues of writing about family and friends
What past webinar attendees are saying:
- “I fully enjoyed hearing Melissa’s sage advise and learned more than I anticipated…Keep up the great work. Fledgling writers like myself need all the apt info you can offer us. Moreover, we need and relish your encouragement.” -Sharon H.
- “It means a lot to tap into FREE resources like this that serve not only as sources of inspiration but give a little push to keep me going. I’ve thought about trying essay writing because of the flexibility it might afford me in terms of my “medical adventures” and was impressed at how much info Melissa Hart managed to fit into a short webinar.” -Laura F.
- “I really enjoyed the webinar. And appreciate the fact that it was concise, to the point and not too long as many webinars are.” -Jacqueline S.
- “Wow, this was great. Ms. Hart was personable and inspirational. Thank you so much.” – Barbara S.
- “This webinar was well done all around, from the first notice of the webinar right through reminders and then the webinar itself. Very well done. Thank you.” – Judy R.
- “I am at the beginning stages of writing for profit, as in getting paid for my articles, research, and ideas. I truly enjoyed this webinar and learned a great deal. Thank you!” – Peggy T.
- “I thought this was absolutely marvelous. It was like attending class at home.” – Cat R.
- “This webinar exceeded my expectations for presentation and content, I have no idea how it could have been better.” – Pat H.
About our presenter:
Melissa Hart is the author of two memoirs and the new YA novel, Avenging the Owl. Her personal essays have appeared in dozens of magazines and newspapers including The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Hemispheres, Woman’s Day, The Advocate, The Normal School, Orion, and Brain, Child. She’s also a nonfiction writing instructor for Southern New Hampshire University. Website: melissahart.com