Gearing up to pen your 2019 writing resolutions? Here’s a quick tip: Focus on concrete goals (I will write for X minutes on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday) versus abstract ones (I will write every day). Write down at least five goals that you will actively work toward over the next 12 months. Be sure to include how specifically you will achieve this goal.
Not sure what to choose? Here are a few templates to get you started:
- I will write for ___ minutes every week.
- I will write at least ___ words in each writing session. (Hint: Write every day for a week with no limitations first, then note when you naturally stop. Is it 500 words? 1,000? 2,000? Pick your average word count (or, as a safeguard, your lowest) and stick with it all year long.)
- I will receive ___ rejections each month. (Remember, only writers with the courage to submit will ever receive a rejection!)
- I will query ___ agents each month.
- I will read ___ writing books this year.
- I will read ___ books in my genre this year.
- I will attend ___ events for writers this year.
- I will plan ___ writing retreats this year.
- I will apply to ___ residencies, fellowships, contests, or awards this year.
- I will build my platform by posting ___ social posts each week. (Alternatively: I will spend ___ hours on social media each week – no more, no less.)
- I will skip ___ each month to focus on writing.
- I will say no to ____ to spend more time writing.
- I will revise ____ pages each week.
- I will read ____ new literary journals this year.
- I will blog ____ times per week.
- I will spend ____ hours promoting my book each month.
- I will spend ____ hours looking for new clients or markets each month.
- I will pitch ____ new editors every week.
- I will finally write that piece about ____.
Lastly, and most importantly, we would encourage each and every one of you to consider adopting this resolution in 2019:
I will finally write the story I’ve been afraid to write.
Be bold, write often, and always remember why you wanted to make these resolutions in the first place.
This year’s bound to be your best year yet.